- How many A’levels are available at King Edward VI College?
We offer over 50 AS and A level subjects as well as a range of BTEC's and HNC courses.
- Will I be guaranteed all my choices?
If this college is your home institution we can virtually guarantee your first choice of subjects in almost all cases. (last year only 1 out of 1100 was not possible)
What are the pass rates of King Edward College compared to other A’ level providers?
Sixth Form Colleges outperform School Sixth Forms and FE Colleges and therefore they are given benchmarks way above all schools and colleges. Our results for 2012 demonstrate very high achievements with a pass rate of 98% at A2 (the national average A2 pass rate is 97% for Sixth Form Colleges) and our AS pass rates are 90% (the national average AS pass rate is 85% for Sixth Form Colleges). We 'add value'. Our value added measure (i.e how we improve students' expected grades given GCSE results) are in the top 50% in the country at AS level and top 30% at A level and BTEC. GCSE English re take results were 80% A-C (national average 50%)
How does King Edward’s College differ to staying on at school?
• We offer a wider range of courses available all at one site
• Our staff specialise in their subject area and also only teaching 16-19 year olds.
• We have a proven track record of results.
• We offer an unrivalled range of enrichment activities (both sporting and non-sporting).
• You will have the opportunity to spend two years studying in a more adult environment preparing you for University or the workplace.
- What enrichment and sporting opportunities are there?
We have an enormous range of activities including: Boxercise, Basketball, Chess, Counselling, Creative Writing, Debating Society, Drama, Eco College, Football, Hockey, Netball, Open Mic, Rugby, Sign Language, not to mention Theatre Trips, Field Trips, Visits to Museums and Art Galleries and we have students every year who win Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals in the Academic Olympiad Competitions and each year several of our students represent their county in a Sport.
- What are the class sizes?
The average class size is 19.
- Do I have to wear a uniform?
No. We want our students to wear the clothes they feel comfortable in.
- Can I leave the college premises at lunch time?
We have our own restaurant and Starbucks on site but students are welcome to go into town for lunch if they prefer.
- Will I have private study time?
Yes, you will have study periods in which you are expected to manage your time appropriately. This is in preparation for University and the workplace.
- Do I have to pay anything?
Some subjects have small fees for course materials. For more information please take a look at our prospectus.
- How much involvement do parents have in their child’s progress?
Over the 2 years there are 5 formal consultation events, 2 written reports and parents are encouraged to contact personal tutors if they have any concerns. We also have a new 'Parent Portal' - parents can check student's progress online.
- Will I get help with preparing for University?
The college has a wealth of experience in supporting students with their university applications. We have a department dedicated to the function and in the last 2 years 82% of applications were successful.
- What is the deadline for applications to King Edward’s?
We do not have a deadline for applications, however we will review the number of applications on our system at the end of May, if numbers are high we will implement a Reserve List – if you find yourself on the Reserve List you will not know if you have a place at this college until after our Enrolment in August. If you achieve our entry requirements and we recieve your application before May 31 we can guarantee you a place in College. We will continue to accept applications up to enrolment in August.
- I have already completed an application but have changed my mind about where I want to study. Is it too late?
You can change your choice anytime between now and enrolment in August. Just ring us.
Adding Value : We are in the top 25% of the country for adding Value at A-Level
Exam Results : 73% of last year's leavers progressed to University
A Level Pass Rate : A-Level pass rate 98% (National Average 97%)
AS Level Pass Rate : AS-Level pass rate 90% (National Average 89%)
Exam Results : BTEC pass rate 100%
Exam Results : 33 Subjects achieved 100% pass rate at A-Level
Exam Results : 41% A*-B grades at A-Level
Exam Results : 81% Merit/Distinction* grades at BTEC
Exam Results : 7 Students went to Oxford/Cambridge